Wednesday, June 12, 2013

First practical excercise

At last, today I received the first item from my purchase list from ebay, it's the power meter. That devices is very handy in design an analysis of my system. I bought it from www.eco-worthy.com for 13.55 $ from an auction on ebay. It was shipped to me from Singapore, but I think it's made in China, and I received it after 16 days of my payment. It costed me 135 EGP because of customs and my local mail office also charged me for services (which I don't know).
It is very interesting to watch by my own eyes exactly how much power my appliances are drawing.
This power meter can display Watts, Watt-hours, Amperes, Voltage, Frequency and Power factor. it also displays electricity usage cost, Max power and Min power> It can support a maximum of 3680 Watts before displaying Overload.

I connected my appliances (except the CFL lamp) and I was pretty surprised from what reading appeared on the power meter. I switched on the TV, receiver, fan, PC, monitor and speakers. I started a heavy graphics game (Medal of honor - Warfighter) - very nice game - and the maximum consumption was 350 Watts - 1.6 Amperes. Remember that I calculated my load power of 575 Watts.
These are really good news for me because I will have more juice to use from the batteries for more time. But what mistake did I make in my calculation? I made no mistake, but I have a PC power supply of 500 Watts, and I'm sure I'm not using them all. If I calculated the CFL lamp as 35 Watts, then my true consumption is 350 + 35 = 385 Watts, and 575 - 385 = 115 Watts. Then I can say that I'm using a maximum of 385 Watts from my 500 Watt power supply, but the other appliances I made my calculations from the data on their nameplate.

I'm happy today, I'm going to look at the power meter every now and then to see for real what my consumption costs are, and I'm going to re-size my solar energy system components.

No comments:

Post a Comment