Thursday, June 13, 2013

Second practical excercise

For the second day in row, I received the second item I purchased from ebay. Behold the power
inverter. As discussed before, the power inverter converts DC power to AC power to feed the ordinary house appliances. I had already purchased an over-sized inverter for future use. It has a continuous power output of 2000 Watts and surge output of 4000 Watts, that means it can output power of 2000 Watt all the time, but when I turn on my appliances (specially inductive loads like fans), they take a lot of current to start-up then return to their rated current draw. This happens in less than a few seconds, but the inverter should handle this situation or else it will shutdown due to overload or rather be damaged.

As discussed before, I designed my system to use a voltage of 12 V DC, so the input for my inverter is 12 V DC. The output is 220 V DC, as the voltage of the grid in Egypt. This inverter has some capabilities like shutdown on overload, short circuit, very high battery voltage and very low battery voltage. It also has a buzzer to give me a warning to shut down my appliances normally and safely when the battery is critically low.

As soon as I received my inverter, I took it down to my car, opened the hood and connected it to the battery for a test run. I connected the positive (red) terminal of the inverter to the positive terminal of the car battery, and connected the negative (black) terminal of the inverter to the negative terminal of the car battery. I was terrified when I heard a spark when the circuit is closed. I tested it with an AVO and yes!, 240 V AC was on the screen. I haven't tested it on a load, but I will wait till the rest of mt items arrive. I will buy the batteries the last thing, because they tend to lose their charge by time and I don't want them spoiled before using them.

This type outputs a pure sine wave, so that I'm free to power any device as long as it does not draw more than 2000 Watt (1800 for safety) continuously, and also doesn't draw above 4000 Watts (3600 for safety) at start-up.

This power inverter weighs about 5.5 Kg, and is bigger than I imagined, so I have to decide on where to put it. it must be put in a ventilated area to circulate air (it has fans inside), and also it must be put away from batteries to avoid heat or fire due to gasses (very small amount) emitted from the batteries.


  • Recalculation
As discussed in the previous post, practically I use 385 Watts to power my target room. It is recommended to design for an inverter double the required power (that will be expensive), so if I would size my system for it's present power, I would have bought a 600 Watt inverter.
My inverter costed me 280$ and shipping 80$ = 360$ which equals 2520 EGP. I was charged 435 EGP for customs and other fees (services), then the total will be 3000 EGP.
A 800 Watt inverter would have costed me about a 130$ less, which will be about 2090 EGP. I will consider that in my calculation irrespective what power inverter I bought, because I want to calculate the real price for my target system.

No comments:

Post a Comment